Энциклопедия Формулы 1:

Rambler's Top100


Тревор Тэйлор

Taylor, Trevor

Тревор Тэйлор / Taylor, Trevor

(c) 'Who is Who' by Steve Small, 2000



Гледлесс, Шеффилд, Йоркшир



Уикерсли, Йоркшир

Сезонов в Ф1:


Лет в Ф1:


Гран При:




*не стартовал:



- подряд:



- подряд:


- подряд:

Первый ряд:


- подряд:

Быстрые круги:

- подряд:

Лучший финиш:


Лучший старт:




Лидирование старт/финиш:

Большие шлемы:



- лидирования:




- лидирования:




- за один сезон:


- подряд:

Ф1: 1959-1966

Тревор Тэйлор / Taylor, Trevor - 1959-1966




1959Ace Garage RotherhamCooper T51
Cooper T51
1961Team LotusLotus 18
Lotus 18
1962Team LotusLotus 24
Lotus 24
Lotus 25
Lotus 25
1963Team LotusLotus 25
Lotus 25
1964British Racing PartnershipBRP Mk1
Lotus 24
1966Aiden Jones/Paul EmeryShannon Mk1 Godiva

Even this gritty and determined Yorkshireman was eventually battered into submission by a catalogue of crashes which would have frightened a lesser man from the cockpit of a racing car for ever. As it was, he returned from a bombed-out Formula 1 career to later establish himself as a top-line F5000 campaigner, which says a lot for the qualities he possessed.

The son of a garage proprietor, Trevor was given much encouragement in his early racing days by his father, who bought a Triumph TR2 for him to race in 1955. This was soon replaced by a succession of 500 cc F3 cars, one of them the ex-Lewis-Evans Cooper-Norton. Progress was slow initially, but by 1958 Trevor was good enough to take the British F3 championship. The garage purchased an F2 Cooper for him to race in 1959, but apart from a minor Libre win at Rufforth little of note was achieved. Colin Chapman offered to run Taylor as part of his Junior team in 1960 if he purchased a Lotus 18, and it proved to be a sound decision for both parties. Taylor shared the championship that year with Jim Clark, and was taken into the team proper for 1961, when he again won the title, this time on his own. With Ireland injured at Monaco, Trevor was given his Grand Prix debut at Zandvoort where he finished 13th, and last, in a race unique for its complete lack of a pit stop or retirement.

There were a few other Formula 1 outings that year, his best results being a second place in the Rand GP at Kyalami, followed by a win in the Cape GP at Killarney early in 1962. By this time Chapman had placed his faith in the youngster, putting him into the Formula 1 team at the expense of Innes Ireland. A second place at Zandvoort was a great start, but he was shaken up at Spa when a duel with Willy Mairesse left both cars wrecked and the Belgian in hospital. This was followed by an 80 mph crash-test into the back of Trintignant's stalled car at Rouen which left him bruised from head to foot, and at the Nürburgring he was the victim of an engine malady which sent him through a hedge. His confidence was restored at the end of the year, however, when he shared the winning car in the Mexican GP with Clark and then won the Natal GP at Westmead.

Retained for 1963, Taylor took second places at Pau and Karlskoga, but apart from a single point at Monaco was out of luck in championship events. The Mediterranean GP at Enna supplied perhaps Taylor's most astounding escape, when he was pitched from his Lotus at over 100 mph, rolling some 50 yards down the circuit as his car hurtled to destruction. Amazingly he emerged with just grazes and bruising. With Peter Arundell knocking at the door, Taylor was released to join the BRP team in 1964, but apart from a sixth place at Watkins Glen there was little to enthuse about in the performances of the pale-green cars. Trevor raced a Brabham in Formula 2 during 1965-66, and was briefly involved in the amateurish Shannon project, which represented the nadir of his career. From 1967 he went back to basics, first running a Lotus 47 with encouraging results before moving up to a Lola T70 to win the 1969 Tourist Trophy at Oulton Park. This was the inaugural year of F5000, and Trevor took his Surtees TS5 right to the brink of a championship win before losing out to Peter Gethin after the pair collided in the final round at Brands Hatch. Trevor continued in the formula throughout the next three seasons, always a competitive proposition but never quite the force of that first year. At the end of 1972 he brought the curtain down on a sometimes unlucky career, but the fact that he had emerged intact after some of those early mishaps was probably cause enough for him to count his blessings.

(c) 'Who is Who' by Steve Small, 2000

© WildSoft, 1995-2020